About five years ago I was taking a Standard Process product called Iodomere for chronic fatigue. While I was taking it I noticed that it was having the unexpected effect of clearing up an onset of brain fog I was struggling with at the time. I suspected the iodine in the product was the reason for this and I became interested in knowing what other affects iodine supplementation would have on the body.
In my research on this subject I started to realize that most of us have an iodine deficiency that cannot be filled by iodized salt as we are often told. In fact the little bit of iodine we get in our diets is often displaced by chlorine and bromine due to their nature as halogens.
The medical profession has developed a phobia regarding the use of iodine in clinical application and our food supply. This has been due to misinformation and avoidance of further research regarding the use of iodine.
While researching iodine I discovered Dr. Guy Abraham who has produced a large body of information about iodine and its effects on the body based on his own studies and research. Dr. Abraham’s findings and information was a gold mine of information that started to answer my questions about iodine and some of the effects that I noticed when taking Iodomere.
It was the reading in Dr. Abraham’s published findings where I first came across the “Japanese smoking paradox“. It is a well known paradox wherein the Japanese have some of the highest longevity rates in the world, despite having a population that are the heaviest smokers in the world. Additionally Japan has lower rates of thyroid, breast and lung cancers. This has lead to a lot of debate and study of this paradox. Lower alcohol consumption, low fat diets, and possible genetic resistance to lung cancer are cited as potential reasons for the paradox.
Dr. Abraham and others believe this paradox exists because the Japanese ingest large amounts of iodine by eating seaweed. When you read about what iodine can do for the body, you will begin to understand why there might be an iodine connection to the “Japanese smoker paradox”.
Iodine is used extensively by the brain, breasts, thyroid, and lungs.
WHAT IODINE CAN DO FOR YOU
- Kill and prevent breast cancer – A common trait among women who have or have had breast cancer is low iodine stores in the mammary glands. Iodine is an inexpensive preventative against breast cancer. Iodine also directly inhibits fibrocystic breast disease which usually precedes breast cancer.
- Detoxification – Iodine can open pathways for the detoxification of toxic chemicals and heavy metals. Iodine is capable of detoxifying biological poisons such as snakebites.
- Increased energy – Iodine’s ability to normalize the thyroid can mean more energy and a potential cure for conditions like chronic fatigue and Fibromyalgia.
- Kill and prevent other kinds of cancer – Iodine has a well documented ability to kill cancer cells through apoptosis (programmed cell death) of old or abnormal cells.
- Weight loss – Normalizing an under-active thyroid with iodine can boost your weight loss.
Dr. Abraham liked to treat his patients with an inorganic iodine supplement that consisted of elemental iodine and potassium iodide. He found in his research that the thyroid preferred elemental iodine and the rest of the body tended to prefer potassium iodide. He liked Lugol’s Iodine Solution but noted that using a dropper provided inexact dosing.
As a result he started a company and created Iodoral which are iodine/potassium iodide 12.5 mg tablets that provided exact dosing. Because of Dr. Abraham’s research, I decided to use Iodoral. I used a variation of his recommended protocol for taking inorganic iodine.
One of the advantages of inorganic iodine verses organic iodine is you can use high dosages in loading phases to reach sufficiency, any excess iodine is easily flushed by the body. The loading protocol I used is below:
- First week – 1 Iodoral tablet a day. Taken before bed every night for 7 days.
- Second week – 2 Iodoral tablets a day. 1 tablet taken every morning and 1 tablet taken before bed for 7 days.
- Third week – 3 Iodoral tablets a day. 1 tablet taken every morning and 2 tablets taken before bed for 7 days.
- Forth week – 4 Iodoral tablets a day. 2 tablets taken every morning and 2 tablets taken before bed for 7 days.
- Next three months – Maintain 4 tablets daily, 2 in the morning and two in the evening.
- After three months of 4 tablets daily – Reduce to 1 tablet daily as a maintenance dose for as long as you like.
Bear in mind you may have unpleasant side effects, which are normal. These can include increased sinus drainage, increased tiredness, breakouts, and metallic taste in the mouth. These side effects are normal and should pass in a few days to a few weeks. Be sure to drink lots of water to help off set these effects. These side-effects are often caused by the detoxification process that iodine initiates.
While using Iodoral, I noticed the following unexpected benefits above and beyond what I found in my research:
- Allergies subsided – I had horrendous allergies, sinus infections exacerbated by certain foods, working outside, and changes in the season. Imagine my surprise after being on iodine for a few weeks when I went outside to mow and finished without a single sneeze. Further my eyes were not red or watering, and I was not congested. No medications or other treatments did this.
- Asthma disappeared – Shortly after beginning my iodine supplementation, asthma attacks associated with yard work or exercise and even foods vanished. I did not find anyone mentioning this when I first did the research on iodine. Since then I have found some interesting tid-bits.
- Able to tan – This one is hard to explain. Previous to taking iodine I could not tan easily and could not do so without burning. While taking iodine, about my third month I started to be able to go outside for extended periods of time without sun block and tan very nicely without burning. I cannot find anything on iodine that would explain this. I was not taking any other substances that might cause other effects. I even pushed the envelope I spent the day on a beach in Corpus Christi, TX during the month of July without sunblock without ill effect, just a darker tan. My wife who was taking Iodoral with me also had the same effect. Please do not assume that this will work for you, this is what I noted. I don’t know if iodine works like an internal sunblock and cannot prove otherwise beyond my personal experiences. If you decide to test this, do so in stages and with caution.
Other positive effects I had that were expected or not surprising included reduction of chronic fatigue symptoms, increased mental clarity, mucus thinning, and better adaptation to extreme temperatures.
Be sure to read the disclaimers and read Dr. Abraham’s information closely before trying this regimen.
- Extrathyroidal Benefits of Iodine by Dr. Donald W. Miller, JR.
- Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It (4th Edition) by David Brownstein, M.D.